Recipe West African Peanut Soup (Vegetarian)
Home Cooking Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, very finely diced
- 2 large bell peppers, (any color) finely chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (18 ounce) jar creamy peanut butter
- chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, vegetable broth, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add rice to soup and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- When rice is cooked, whisk in peanut butter and return to a simmer, and serve.
- Garnish with chopped roasted peanuts, if desired.
Back to Recipes