Recipe World's Greatest Vegetable Broth (Vegetarian)
Home Cooking Recipes
- 1 pound celery
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet onions
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound tomatoes, cored
- 1 pound green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound turnips, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 gallon water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Remove leaves and tender inner parts of celery and set aside.
- Toss onions, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers and turnips with olive oil.
- Place vegetables in a roasting pan and place them in the 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven.
- Stir the vegetable every 15 minutes.
- Cook until all of the vegetables have browned and the onions start to caramelize, this will take over one hour.
- Put the browned vegetables, celery, garlic, cloves, bay leaf, pepper corns, Italian parsley and water into a large stock pot.
- Bring to a full boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook uncovered until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour the broth through a colander, catching the broth in a large bowl or pot.
- The liquid caught in the bowl or pot is your vegetable broth it can be used immediately or stored for later use.
- Although the vegetables are no longer necessary for your broth they are delicious to eat hot or cold, don't waste them!
Back to Recipes